(updated May 17, 2018)
All applicants must submit the completed application form, all supporting materials, and US$135 application fee online by September 30, 2018. Only complete applications will be considered by the Competitor Selection Jury.
Applicants should retain copies of all materials sent with their applications. The Hilton Head International Piano Competition accepts no responsibility for lost documents. All application materials become the property of the Competition.
1. VIDEO AUDITION FILES
All video audition files must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Applicants should include a variety of repertoire that reflects contrasting styles and periods in order to demonstrate for the judges the applicant’s best lyrical and technical capabilities.
- At least one work should be a complete work. Other works can be one or more movements of a piece.
- Each work must be uploaded in an individual video file.
- The total audition files should total between 20 and 30 minutes.
- All audition video files must be uploaded to the HHIPC acceptd.com website. NO DVDs or CDs will be accepted for audition to the 2019 Competition.
- Links to Youtube or other platforms are NOT acceptable as submissions.
- All works must be played from memory, with no music scores in evidence.
- Solo performance only; no orchestral performance will be accepted.
- Recordings may be from public performances or a recording studio.
- The video must clearly show applicant’s face and hands during the performances.
- Video files must be recorded after September 30, 2017.
- Applicants should utilize the best possible video and audio equipment to record the audition files. These files represent the first and only opportunity for applicants to display their pianistic capabilities to the selection Jury, and should be of the highest possible quality to create a positive impression. Be sure your setting and attire are professional and appropriate, your piano is in good tune, and the sound quality accurately reflects your musicality. For best sound quality, use external microphones (mounted independently of camera).
- NO EDITING of an individual work is permitted.
- Listen to the video files before uploading to guarantee the quality of the recording.
2. OTHER REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
The following supporting documents must be uploaded with the application:
- Current biography, between 225 and a maximum of 250 words, as a WORD file
- One (1) professional color photograph (headshot) uploaded as HI-RES 300dpi JPEG file
- Proof of citizenship and age (scan of passport preferred)
- Two letters of recommendation from current or recent teachers or others who can speak to your performance quality and capabilities are required.
Note: The letters of recommendation may be submitted in one of the following four ways:
1. Your recommender may submit his/her letter of recommendation directly to getacceptd.com. In order to submit it this way you must
✓ Provide your recommender(s) e-mail address as requested by getacceptd.com in your application
✓ alert him/her that they will receive an e-mail from getacceptd.com with instructions on how to upload the letter directly onto your application
2. You may upload a copy of the letter to your application yourself.
3. Your recommender may email his/her letter directly to [email protected] from the recommender’s professional email address as an attachment, or
4. Your recommender may send a paper copy of his/her letter of recommendation via postal mail to Hilton Head International Piano Competition, P.O. Box 5757, Hilton Head Island, SC, 29938 USA. The letter should be written/typed on the recommender’s letterhead and must be signed by the recommender.
Whichever method is used to submit the letters of recommendation for the applicant, they must be e-mailed or postmarked on or before September 30, 2018.
Applicants will be notified of their acceptance/alternate/non-acceptance status by e-mail, sent no later than November 15, 2018
4. AUDIO FILES
If you have been selected as one of the 20 competitors or as one of the alternates, you must be prepared to submit electronically three (3) audio files by December 1, 2018. Instructions will be provided on the uploading process when you are notified of your competitor status. The audio files are not adjudicated by either the Competitor Selection Jury or the Competition Jury and become the property of the Competition organization… The audio files will only be used for publicity purposes and to create a sampler CD which showcases the competitors, with a selection of one of the works of each competitor, chosen by the competition staff from the three files submitted. The files must contain:
- Three works uploaded in 3 separate audio files, each being a complete work or movement lasting a maximum of 10 minutes each.
- Total time of all files should be no more than 30 minutes.
- Works should be of contrasting composers and styles.
- Audio files may be extracted from the video audition files (as long as they meet the above timing criteria) or may be different works than those submitted for audition purposes.